Tuesday, 20 October 2009

A cravat convert

Exciting news. The first of a new, young breed of cravateer has made himself known (to me anyway: because of the officially classified nature of his work he wishes to remain anonymous).

He's acquired a colourful paisley number in silk and cotton from gentlemen's outfitters Scott's of Cirencester (no cravats for sale online yet, so we've a way to go). As you'd expect, he heard the call of the raffish, but also had solid practical reasons for his purchase:
Now it's getting colder and I'm behind the counter with the door open, I'm beginning to feel a chill around my neck. But I just don't like wearing ties - they're too restricting, you know? So a cravat was the obvious solution.
And the great thing about this one is that the different colours in the paisley mean I can wear it with anything.

Bravo! Today Bibury, tomorrow Ciren and beyond.

5 comments:

Nige said...

Bravo indeed! A Cravat Hero from the younger generation - a change is in the air...

Gaw said...

Nige, it's only a matter of time before Malcolm Gladwell writes a book on the whole phenomenon.

Kevin Musgrove said...

I will admit to having worn my Paisley cravat today on account of the cold winds and a stiff neck. I suspect I'm a bit young for it really.

Gadjo Dilo said...

Who is this "young man"? A "reader"? All very mysterious.

Gaw said...

Kevin: 'A bit young for it'? We need to banish such prejudice. Young at heart and cravat at neck. A stiff neck from looking at strangely dressed women on platforms, I wonder?

Gadjo: He's someone rather close to me. He's also a pillar of his local community, so there's a good chance he might be a 'trend-setter'.