Wednesday, 21 October 2009

A special day

Today, by the way, is Trafalgar Day. I would nominate this as one of the most important dates in British history (and therefore world history). Perhaps it's the most important: right now, I can't think of any event that happened on a single day that was quite as significant. The Battle of Britain certainly would be up there if it hadn't sprawled across a few months. Otherwise, I'm stumped. Perhaps there are some more peaceable anniversaries that could be nominated?

[Thirty minutes later]

Since I started this post, I've had a visit from Graham, the district nurse (I'm still being periodically attended to). I knew he was into music but he told me a bit more about his career today and it emerged that he used to be a roadie for The Specials, eventually MC'ing their concerts. He worked with them around the UK and Europe and also went with them to the US, when Ghost Town was at number one in the Billboard chart. It was good to learn they were all lovely blokes - and I imagine Graham would know.

As you may remember from a previous post, I'm a huge fan. I'm into my 40s now but it seems I can still be star-struck, even vicariously.

No Trafalgar, no Specials? Could it have been that important?

5 comments:

worm said...

ah...the mysterious world of the roadie...a strange breed if ever there was one...

I actually have a massive knowledge black-hole of the whole wellington/napoleon/nelson thing - both my father and my older brother are mad keen on all that stuff, so I need to learn about it to be able to keep up in their pub conversations!

Gaw said...

What a joy you have stretching out before you! You certainly won't be short of books to choose from.

Sophie King said...

Worm, proceed immediately to the novels of Patrick O'Brian.

Kevin Musgrove said...

Oh yes. Seriously important history: 1066, Trafalgar, Waterloo, WW1, WW2 and the 1966 World Cup final.

Banks, Cohen, Nelson, Clemenceau, Moore, Pitt the Younger (J.), Pitt the Older (R.)...

Gadjo Dilo said...

Trafalgar, yes indeed. Ay ay ay, you know a man who knew The Specials - maybe you remember, I'm also a huge fan! I'd add to Kevin's List "Save All Your Kisses For Me" (1976) and "Making Your Mind Up" (1981).