Monday, 21 December 2009

Snow in London

Snow in London: there seems to be more of it about. I'm sure we've had more serious snowfalls in the last two or three years than since we arrived in 1994.

Of course, in the old days, back in the post-war period, it was more common. I'm sure we all heard about those winters when our grandparents found themselves unable to dig their subsistent root vegetables out of the frozen ground for months on end and had to gnaw on pieces of cork instead.

Here's a picture of our neighbourhood from those days. Captures that eery feel imparted by snow, don't you think? Also you can almost hear them chatting in the snow-imposed quiet, about the weather no doubt.

6 comments:

worm said...

I love it when it snows in London - it's one of the very few occasions when everything falls quiet. Some of the best times I've ever had have involved going clubbing in winter, getting wasted, and then falling out of a club at 5am to find that whilst we weren't looking the whole world has turned white, and we had the whole empty city to ourselves

Gaw said...

That sounds rather magical. I regret missing out on club culture. It took off when I was well into my twenties and was working too hard to avoid sleeping on the weekends.

Brit said...

Looks sort of Le Carre-ish that pic. Lovely.

Gaw said...

Monochrome can get to places colour just can't.

Sean said...

Is there still much soliciting going on these days?

Gaw said...

Bit parky I would have thought.