Friday, 9 April 2010

Never trust a hippy (or indeed any pop impresario...)

Sometimes the advice to 'never trust a hippy' is ascribed to Malcolm McLaren. Sometimes to Jonny Rotten and sometimes to Jamie Reid (the Pistols' art director). It's hardly surprising it has many fathers as it's one of the most sensible bits of advice dispensed in the latter half of the twentieth century. I prefer McLaren to have been the originator as he was surely something of an expert on trust and its abuses.

Anyway, I won't say rest in peace, as I can't think of anything less likely to appeal to the Godfather of Punk. Not that some of his music didn't have moments of great serenity and beauty. Here's Miss Butterfly from his much underrated opera fusion album, 'Fans':

6 comments:

Sean said...

I remember the 05 Ashes series, and test match special having Hugh Cornwell playing an impromptu "Golden Brown" in the lunch break.

I thought to myself, well all we need next is for Malcolm Mclaren to get a knighthood, and heroin to be legalised.

We even have a Sex Pistols tribute band doing the pubs up here..no spitting these days, but I think it says it all.

Gadjo Dilo said...

So, Malc is dead. By most accounts he was a total c**t but I do seem to remember Annabella of Bow Bow Bow saying nice and thankful things about him so let's hope that she at least is at his funeral! I wonder what punk would have been like without him...

Gaw said...

Sean: That sounds a lot better than Cliff at Wimbledon. And Test match cricket, the Stranglers and heroin do seem to go together somehow.

Gadjo: I think there's almost universal agreement that he was a c**t. But he was treasured as such.

No Good Boyo said...

Madame Butterfly, one of my guilty pleasures. The K-Man prefaces every reference to Malcolm with the phrase "A fellow Situationist". It's going to be a long lunchtime.

Gaw said...

Who's K-Man when he be at home?

No Good Boyo said...

My legal advisor. He crops up on my blog from time to time.