Thursday, 29 April 2010

Three Jockeys Before the Race

Brum has two good art collections: the City gallery and the Barber Institute of Fine Arts. The latter is part of the University of Birmingham, and I think it's housed in a building that's just along from where tonight's Leaders' Debate was held.

I have no idea who did better this evening - I guess it depends which version of reality you choose to adopt. But the parading around the paddock is nearly over now and the runners and riders are heading onto the racecourse.

Nice then that this painting - [Three] Jockeys Before the Race by Degas - was hanging a few yards from where the three leaders were this evening. It's a stunner, isn't it? If I look at it long enough all this politics will fade into the background again...

2 comments:

worm said...

oops keyboard meltdown

gorgeous picture - the colours are lovely, and I particularly like the movement of the middle horse, it's very kinetic and real. Its nice to know that there are some beautiful things in Brum!

Gaw said...

Glad you liked it worm. It's one of the most interesting paintings I've ever seen. Its relationship to the emerging art of photography is worth pondering.