Sunday, 27 June 2010

Keep the geraniums flying

On my journeys around the borough of Islington I'm noticing a disproportionate number of window boxes containing red and white flowers. It's surely the posh version of the flags of St George hanging from what seems to be every other balcony and window on the estates.

Football support expressed through the medium of gardening. Very English. And who said football was classless nowadays? More that it's followed by all the classes, each in their own way.

Anyway, good luck this afternoon England! May a thousand flowers continue to bloom.

7 comments:

Barendina Smedley said...

Just last night I was reading about Quebec House, East Dereham, Norfolk, where in the early years of the last century General Bulwer planted out the gardens to replicate the troop dispositions in the battle of Quebec. Similar, surely?

Gaw said...

Next time I look I must check to see whether any of the flowers in the window boxes are in a 4-4-2 formation. And gardening and war does seem to be another classic English combo.

Barendina Smedley said...

Mind you, assuming Lord Bulwer meant the Seven Years War version, i.e. the battle of the Plains of Abraham - the planting would make this point clear, I guess - Prussia was on our side and we were fighting the French. That might have helped our chances.

In any event I, too, wish England well today, although for reasons related to children's birthday parties I shall be spending much of the afternoon with Italians, presumably all still in deep mourning.

No Good Boyo said...

Football support expressed through the medium of gardening. Very English.

So is burying your victims under the patio. Rooney beware.

Sean said...

I bet they have plenty of CCTV in Islington to make sure no one nicks Mrs Lyons pansies.

Barendina Smedley said...

Will there be significant replanting activity this morning I wonder?

Gaw said...

I shall be keeping an eye on the window sills and also the recycling bags next bin day.